Executive Director Job Announcement
November 29, 2018
NIPNLG advances bold and innovative strategies that challenge unlawful and inhumane immigration enforcement, government overreach and large scale, coordinated strategies aimed at dismantling immigrantsâ€™ rights. We are looking for our next principled and courageous leader who will champion our efforts to advance justice and equality of treatment for immigrants through litigation, advocacy, and support for community organizing groups on the frontlines. This is an exciting opportunity with geographic flexibility for dedicated human rights advocates, including non-attorneys and those from allied movements.
The National Immigration Project was formed in 1971 as a committee of the National Lawyers Guild and became a freestanding organization in 1981.
For the last 47 years, NIPNLG has served as a progressive source for cutting-edge, advocacy-oriented legal support on issues critical to immigrant rights. NIPNLG has persistently promoted justice and equality of treatment in the areas of immigration law, the criminal justice system, and policies related to immigration.
The Executive Director will report to NIPNLG's 15-member Board of Directors. Presently, NIPNLG has an annual budget of 1.3 million dollars, and a talented staff of eight, including five attorneys. The Executive Director will take leadership in a dynamic organization with a solid financial outlook and impressive track record.
NIPNLG operates in a virtual office environment with staff located in Boston, Massachusetts, Washington, DC, Durham, North Carolina and Berkeley, California. The new Executive Directorâ€™s location is flexible. Applicants should have relevant experience and be deeply and demonstrably committed to NIPNLG's mission.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the area of immigrant rights. Alternatively, experience in criminal justice, public policy or a related field may also be considered.
- A track record of senior leadership and management in a mission-driven organization.
- Extensive fundraising experience, including a track record of raising significant funds from foundations and individual donors.
- Significant financial management and budget experience; grounded understanding of financial standards of practice.
- Experience managing institutional growth and change.
- Experience hiring, managing, and developing a diverse staff; experience with remote management is highly desirable.
- Compelling and persuasive public speaking skills, media presence and savvy.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, including effective communications with media, press, funders, and partners.
- A track record of building and sustaining strong relationships with existing and prospective stakeholders, including board members, funders, individual donors, and community partners.
- A track record of building effective partnerships and coalitions among organizations, lawyers and activists, from the grassroots to national levels.
- The ability to oversee and implement a vibrant communications strategy.
- Ability to travel extensively in order to represent NIPNLG.
- Willingness to make a multi-year commitment to NIPNLG.
- An advanced degree in law, public policy, nonprofit management, or other related field or equivalent work experience is required. Candidates are not required to be attorneys.
- Fluency in Spanish or a second language is beneficial but not required.
Executive Leadership Skills and Attributes
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an authentic, inclusive, and inspiring leader who has worked in communities of color on immigrant rights issues. We seek candidates who demonstrate the following leadership skills and personal attributes:
- A commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion with a track record of instituting organizational policies and practices that advance racial equity and diversity goals.
- A commitment and ability to center the experiences and perspectives of our constituents.
- Excellent intellectual, analytical, and strategic thinking skills.
- The ability to generate big, visionary ideas and ideals and the capacity to convert them into solid strategies and action.
- A reputation as a principled strategic collaborator with keen listening skills and the ability to bridge philosophies and perspectives.
- An adaptive leadership style with the ability to navigate complex situations and relationships and take advantage of strategic opportunities.
- Skills in talent management, team building, mentoring and developing staff leadership.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and capacity for self-reflection and self-improvement.
NIPNLG is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Salary Range: $115,000 - $135,000. NIPNLG also provides a generous benefits package.
Strategies for Social ChangeÂ® LLC (SSC) is a woman of color-owned capacity-building and coaching practice dedicated to working with social justice organizations. SSC is conducting the leadership transition process and search.
Nominations, inquiries, and application materials must be submitted to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted electronically. Please include a cover letter, rÃ©sumÃ© and three references. Your cover letter should address the following: 1) Why you are interested in working with NIPNLG and the constituents we serve; 2) What you believe you would bring to the position of Executive Director; and 3) How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position. Please submit all required information in a single PDF document.
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. The application deadline has been extended to January 18, 2019, however review and interviews will take place on a rolling basis, so we encourage candidates to submit as soon as possible. All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential.
For more information about NIPNLG please visit the About page on our website.