January 28, 2021
The Communications Manager is a new position that will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and with other staff to ensure sophisticated and impactful strategic communications to advance NIPNLG’s mission. They will design and deploy strategic communications (web, print, and digital), develop sophisticated media relations, and produce expert, impactful writing. This role will advance and amplify our work by utilizing value-based and goal-oriented strategic communications tactics to publicize our work, promote campaigns, engage larger audiences in our mission, and influence how our issues are framed in the media.
The Communications Manager will be a thought partner to the Executive Director.
You are an ideal candidate if:
- You have experience with strategic communications in campaign settings, both in narrative shifting and rapid response.
- You think broadly and strategically, while being detail oriented and organized about implementing a sophisticated communications strategy.
- You can synthesize information from different sources and understand nuanced campaign and messaging goals.
- You are a great communicator who enjoys engaging with different stakeholders and would thrive as a mentor and bridge builder for the organization as a whole.
- You have a demonstrable passion for social justice and alignment with NIPNLG’s mission, culture, and core values.
- You readily accept and incorporate feedback and challenge yourself and others to find creative solutions to dilemmas.
- You have a collaborative leadership style and can flexibly share leadership and build consensus. You have a proven ability to work with a dynamic team and build working partnerships.
- You are guided by a strong sense of curiosity and commitment to learning new and complex areas of work.
- Experience working on immigration or issues related to criminalization or other complex issues in a social justice context, and high-level, strategic understanding of social change and progressive movements backed by direct experience is desirable.
- You are passionate about telling stories in ways that build power, while understanding legal and personal sensitivities to sharing stories of those at risk of deportation.
- You have excellent writing skills and a strong attention to detail.
- You have a high degree of comfort with technology, including social media platforms.
- Experience with graphic design and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and other design programs, Wordpress, and/or video production is an advantage.
- Fluency in additional languages, especially Spanish, is an advantage.
- Plan and implement organizational communications strategies, including for advocacy and litigation campaigns, working closely with NIPNLG staff and allies.
- Engage with, contribute to, and incorporate resources from a communications collective we are part of that provides messaging frames and talking points for press releases, media interviews, blog posts, social media, and email action alerts.
- Contribute to guiding processes and protocols about best practices in strategic communications.
- Work with our development staff to ensure seamless integration of communications across the organization.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with traditional and digital news media about NIPNLG and allies’ work. This includes pitching news and editorial coverage, maintaining and updating media lists, and other types of engagement.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, and other media materials in support of organizational priorities and campaigns. This may include ghostwriting, editing, and placing op-eds, articles, and other written materials, in collaboration with NIPNLG staff.
- Train and prep spokespeople, including staff, members, and other partners for media interviews.
- Monitor news coverage on key issue areas to identify opportunities for intervention.
- Identify and engage opportunities for narrative-shifting in media coverage of NIPNLG’s
- issue areas to reflect our analysis and perspective.
- Oversee and manage NIPNLG’s social media portfolio. Identify social media opportunities to promote NIPNLG’s work and resources. Help reach goals for increased reach and engagement on social media platforms and website.
- Implement digital communications related to NIPNLG organizational priorities, including its advocacy and litigation campaigns.
- Manage consultant work related to NIPNLG’s digital presence.
Compensation and Location
Compensation is commensurate with relevant experience. Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and retirement benefits. This is a full-time union position. NIPNLG is headquartered in Washington DC, although this position may be fully remote.
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to email@example.com. Include “Communications Manager” in the subject of email. Position open until filled, although applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. No phone calls please.
Applicants should be prepared to share a writing sample if asked for an interview.
NIPNLG is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively recruits women, Black, Brown, Indigenous, and other People of Color, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse gender and sexual identities, immigrants, and formerly incarcerated persons.